1935 a group of Elizabethton business men made plans to buy
and develop some local property into a golf course. They retained
Raymond Campbell, Attorney and charter member of the group,
to obtain the necessary land for the project. Mr. Campbell
was successful in purchasing 70 acres of land, up for foreclosure,
for $5,000, from the Hamilton National Bank of Johnson City.
The original group of men, numbering 20, invested $250 each
to purchase the land. In 1936 the same tract of land was deeded
to the first Trustees of the organization - R.C. Campbell,
J.C. Paty, J.C. Browning, Dr. E.T. Pearson, and S.O Powers.
immediately began developing the 70 acre tract of land into
a nine-hole course under the direction of Wendell Ray. Late
in the construction of the course, the WPA, working in the
immediate area, was requested to help put the project in shape.
Some objections arose over the involvement of the WPA in the
golf course project, and with the advice of Raymond Campbell,
and the consent of the State's Attorney General, the Trustees
deeded the golf course project to the City of Elizabethton
for $1.00, and work on the course continued without interruption.
problem facing the new course was an adequate water supply.
The closest water supply was a spring on the north side of
Milligan Highway and adjacet to the course property. Raymond
Campbell was successful in obtaining water rights for the
golf course from the owner of the spring (who lived in Knoxville).
The deed for the water rights from the spring was recorded
at the Carter County Court House and the Elizabethton Golf
Club is still using this same spring today to water the fairways
and greens on the course.
quite a few years later that the remaining nine holes of the
golf course materialized. The Elizabethton Golf Club is greatly
indebted to the efforts of an original member of the club,
Dr. W.G. Frost, and the Board of Directors at that time, for
the completion of the remaining nine holes of the course.
In November, 1951 Dr. Frost purchased 10.54 acres of land
from one individual, 27.6 acres from another in December and
26.44 acres from yet another individual in January, 1952.
In 1953 Dr. Frost deeded the entire 73.58 acres to the Elizabethton
Golf Club for his original cost of the land. Through the efforts
of this man, the Elizabethton Golf Club developed into the
regulation 18-hole course which has become one of the outstanding
assets of our community.
Golf Course was, somewhat, renovated in 1973. It was redesigned
by D.J. DeVictor, a renowned course architect and designer
of Atlanta, Georgia. The course was completely renovated in
twenty plus public golf courses in the area, it is the premier
course. An estimated 35,000 rounds are played annually.